What Can Social Media and PR Do for Your Professional Services Firm?
With all the buzz around the wonders of Web 2.0, the logical question on every CEO's mind is “What can it do for my firm?” Now, there is a bit of research data out that can help answer that question. It comes from a Social Media Marketing and PR Benchmarking Survey from our friends at Marketing Sherpa.
Before I review the key results, however, I want to point out that while the sample size was good (n=1,886), the survey was completed by marketers in a wide variety of industries, not just professional services firms. Also, the survey addressed social media and PR together, so any differences between the two disciplines may be obscured. Having said that, here are the results.
Social media/PR is best at 1) influencing brand reputation, 2) increasing brand awareness, 3) improving search engine rankings and 4) increasing website traffic. All in all, not a bad set of benefits. On the other hand, the social media/PR combo is rated far less favorably by survey respondents when it comes to 1) lead generation, 2) improving internal communications or 3) increasing online sales.
Because most professional services firms don't count on social media or PR to improve internal communications — and online sales typically are not much of a factor — that leaves us to cry in our beer over lead generation. The sad fact is that a lot of firms jump into social media with visions of fresh prospects dancing in their heads. Sorry. Improving your brand through improved awareness and reputation is realistic. Lead generation, not so much.
Industries & Topics
- Business Development Strategy: A High-Growth Approach
- A 10 Step Brand Development Strategy for Your Professional Services Firm
- Strategic Marketing for Professional Services
- Digital Branding for Professional Services
- 10 Essential B2B Marketing Strategies to Grow Your Professional Services Firm
- Digital Marketing Strategy for Professional Services
- Rebranding Strategies: A Step-By-Step Approach for Professional Services
- Elements of a Successful Brand 1: Brand Positioning
- The Top 5 Business Challenges for Accounting & Financial Services Firms
- Find Your Differentiator: 21 Ways to Gain a Competitive Advantage for Your Firm
- Elements of a Successful Brand 4: Brand Promise
- What Is the Cost of Video Production for the Web?